Wednesday 28 March 2018

Little birds and more ....

I have a few more little birds for you today.

First a Saffron Finch; a small colourful bird from the tanager family.




Originally from South America the species has been introduced to Hawaii.

Below is an adult and a youngster.


"Mirror, mirror on the wall....."


Bath time for the kids.


They can often be seen foraging for seeds on the ground.



Very handsome birds, sadly I think they are also popular as caged birds.


One last look:


This is a House Sparrow or English Sparrow and was introduced to Hawaii from New Zealand in the 17 C. He looks to be striding purposefully somewhere.


And finally a Japanese White-eye, a tiny bird originally from South East Asia that was introduced to Hawaii early in the 20 C. 



Next here is a large bug I saw. If you hate insects scroll quickly through the next few pictures.


A Praying Mantis came for a visit:



It was easily 6 inches long and we noticed it on the railing of our lanai one evening.
Fascinating, but I didn't want to get too close.


Here is view from a different angle:



-------------------------------------------

OK, you can open your eyes again now!



I have been busy painting this week and have two new watercolours to show you.

Neither photograph is very good, this one I had already framed (under glass) and didn't remove it from the frame to take a picture.
This is inspired by a photo I took in Lyon, France of an interior courtyard in an older part of the city.

"Le Chat Curieux"


"Basque Pathway"

Again not the best photo. This one was inspired by a photo I took on a walk up from the beach in southwestern France.


--------------------------------------------------------


Sometimes I find something on YouTube that I just have to share.
Here is "Stairway to Heaven" flash mob style:



I wish I had been in that square, to see and hear it live.

----------------------------------------

Thanks for stopping by,

happy Wednesday, with whimsy,

Gillian



No comments:

Post a Comment